Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Order and Discipline

Dietrich Bonhoeffer in Life Together writes:

These [order and discipline] must be sought and found in the morning prayer and in work they will be maintained. The prayer of the morning will determine the day. Wasted time, which we are ashamed of, temptations that beset us, weaknesses and listlessness in our work, disorder and indiscipline in our thinking and our relations with other people very frequently have their cause in neglect of the morning prayer. The organization and distribution of our time will be better for having been rooted in prayer. The temptations which the working day brings with it will be overcome by this break-through to God. Decisions which our work demands will be simpler and easier when they are made, not in the fear of men, but solely in the presence of God. "Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, so to the Lord and not unto men" (Col 3:23). Even routine mechanical work will be performed more patiently when it is done with the knowledge of God and His command. Our strength and energy for work increase when we have prayed God to give us the strength we need for our daily work.

I rarely have morning prayer time. It is too easy to think that I don't have enough time. Or to stay up too late the night before exhausting myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually. But the truth is that the times that I have had morning prayer, even the most irregular, my days have gone better, I have been happier, and I have walked closer to God.

Abba, I desire to be with You. To walk with You. To talk with You. Remind me. Wake me from my slumber. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment